Since I was a little girl, I always had an interest in people with physical disabilities. I remember in junior high there was a boy who had cerebral palsy and I would always go out of my way to say "Hey, how are you doing today?" and to make sure how he was doing in the Social Studies class we had together.
I also knew that the church always went to Bethphage, a small community of people with mental and physical disabilities in Nebraska, and I couldn't wait to be old enough to go. When I was finally old enough to join the youth group, it was there where God showed me He wanted me to work with people with disabilities. I had no fear visiting with and being surrounded by the residents that lived at Bethphage. Christ taught me that the residents of this small village in Nebraska had a love and joy that I never had, but I so badly wanted. The only way for me to experience this love and joy I saw in the people I had met, was to work so closely with people who have what the world calls 'disabilities' and see their abilities - love and joy.
God then nudged my heart to travel to Jamaica with the youth group. To be honest, I was more excited about being in another country without my parents than actually serving. HA! God gently grabbed my face and showed me what He wanted me to see: children with physical disabilities placed as 3rd class citizens. Shantara and Ian were not allowed (and are still not allowed) to attend school because they look different than the other children. Each time I came back to the States from visiting the beautiful babies, my heart could not stop thinking about them. I wasn't sure why God had called me to this place for just a week at a time if He kept the faces of the children on my heart.
While in college, I attended a missions conference in St. Louis not planning on finding anything having to do with disabilities. How little faith I had. The Holy Spirit moved in me showing me children all around the world with disabilities need a teacher. It was there, God called me overseas mission work to work with children.
This past school year, I wanted to take a trip to Robin's Nest on my own. I had no way of getting there, no funds, no supplies, but I did have a heart that desired to start exploring God's will for my life. After asking for a round-trip plane ticket for my birthday and Christmas present from my family, my friends (that I now consider my family) at Winona State took up a collection and raised enough money to pay for my room and board for the 10 days I'd be spending in Jamaica and a little extra money to bring supplies to orphanage. Talk about a walking testament to God answering prayers. Before heading down to Jamaica, Michelle Robinette (the director of Robin's Nest) was visiting the States and was speaking at a church in Rochester. I met her there and she mentioned to the group they were looking for a Special Education teacher to teach Ian and Shantara. I told her I was graduating in May with a Special Education degree emphasizing in Developmental Disabilities. HOW PERFECT!?
God works in so many different ways that don't make sense to us humans. But I now look back on the path that I've traveled, with Christ at every step, and see the puzzle pieces that God has already given me starting to come together to one beautiful picture.
Sunday, July 27, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment