Thursday, November 05, 2009

"Just Life" and "Job Title: Springboard Tutor"

“Just Life”

Even though it's only been a little over two months since I've moved to London, it's already beginning to feel like normal life. I found that in Jamaica, after living there for a few months, it was... how do I describe it??..... life. Same with London, it's life. I do my normal routine throughout the week: tutor at my three schools five days a week, head to church on Sunday afternoons, life group on Tuesday nights, Alpha on Wednesday nights, and whatever pops up in between. Don't get me wrong, I still wake up every morning thinking, “I'M IN LONDON!!!” and riding on the second level of the buses will never get old, but it's “life”... just like it is anywhere else.

But because I say it's “just life” doesn't mean I'm not learning or growing, because that would be far from the truth! I think the thing about picking up and moving to anywhere in the world is about being able to cope and deal with the things life throws at you. Or maybe in a better sense of words, to be willing to let go of any expectations you have about life and to let God work, mold, and create what He wants inside of you.

That last line is entirely what God has done with me in the past two months. He has shattered any expectation I have had about living in the UK: the UK and the US are REALLY different regardless of the “white-upper class stereo-type”, there are homeless people everywhere, there are churches everywhere, and UK football is bigger than anyone could EVER imagine (those were a few examples of shattered expectations). After God showed me that I was going to be living in a community of Jamaicans and Nigerians, the homeless people sitting in front of McDonald's with their dogs, all the options to choose when it comes to attending a church service, and how crazy it gets in any pub when a football match is being played; He started to show me what He wants me to do, see, and feel. Don't get me wrong though, I wasn't sure I was ready for the journey God is taking be on, but I finally gave in and He has shown me more than I could have ever imagined. Some examples include:

1. While living out of my comfort zone in a new culture, I have recently thought that I have been doing something wrong and not able to understand what I have done wrong. Even though I live in a country similar to my home country, it has been much more difficult that I thought. The sense of humor is VERY dry and I'm not used it, people are quite blunt, and even though there are 7 million people in the city I live in – it's quite lonely. Yes, these things seems so minimal compared to so many problems around the world, but I kept taking everything personal, as if everything from this new culture was an attack on me. But after realizing it's the culture and even the English feel this way, I was able to say:
“Hey, it's not me! This is the culture and I can try and understand the dry sense of humor but also bring on some slapstick and have a laugh out loud with others; I can understand that if someone says flat out, 'That won't work' I can ask back, 'Do you have any suggestions as to what you think will work?' and know that people LOVE that I ask for their input; and I can embrace the “loneliness” of a massive city and spend that time with God but I can also reach out and make friendships with people that I've met at the schools I tutor at and church.”

2. When I realized that the above was true, I felt so incredibly free... but that only lasted for about a day and then I felt the same. I didn't understand what was happening. Then I went to an all women's day retreat through the church I attend and the first topic was about surrender. I had thought I surrendered everything to Christ, and I had, but I didn't realize it was going to be a daily surrendering to Him. Not only going to God when I feel sad (which is not very often) because I didn't understand a joke, or because someone didn't like how I did something that day, or because I miss my family and friends (but yes, I miss you all a lot!), but I'm talking about praying and surrendering (giving all my worries and fears to Him) about these things DAILY. And do you know what?! God has been so incredibly faithful in fulfilling what I have asked of Him. In Matthew 7 it says, “Ask and it will be given to you... For everyone who asks receives... how much more will your Father in Heaven give good gifts to those ask Him!” Jesus spoke these words to a multitude of people and to be able to read them and apply them and to feel the peace wash over me through the Holy Spirit is so powerful. God wants me to ask Him to be my strength while surrender by telling Him I don't want to worry about the things I said above.
As I am gaining footing living in London and deepening my conversations with God daily, even though I have been obedient to His calling for my life He reminds me that He chose me long before I accepted His call and He honors my obedience to Him. In the 12th chapter of Genesis begins the story of God calling Abram (later re-named Abraham by God) to be the beginning seed of my Savior (Jesus, of course!). It was pointed out to me to at a church service that after 11 chapters of men standing up and telling God, “I will” and failing, Abram is the first man God CHOSE to do His work. Abram obeyed and God honored Abram by blessing him with livestock, land, a new name (Abraham), a son, and protecting him from his enemies (yes there's more to the story, but this is a general overview). Now, obviously, none of these things have happened to me (thank goodness, mostly because I'm not a guy!!) but as I have honored and obeyed God's calling to be willing to geographically move, willing to let God let situations happen only to come back to God praising Him, and willing to let God change my heart for the things He wants accomplished through me; God has blessed me beyond comprehension. Not only has He blessed me with an incredible support system at home (yes, that's a shout out to family, friends, and supporters from home!) and lovely friends that I have made here, but the most wonderful feeling in the world... the love, peace, mercy, and grace the Holy Spirit washes over me every time I acknowledge that God is the one who called me (just one girl out of the trillions of people in the world) to accomplish His work here on Earth. Yes, at times it seems stressful, crazy, and like I'm not doing what He wants, but when I come back to the simple truth that He's the one who chose me, my life doesn't seem so much like “life” anymore.



So maybe what I said about life “just being life” in the top paragraphs isn't correct at all.... maybe “just life” is so much more that I could have ever imagined. Yes, it's daily, and that happens wherever you go or wherever you move, but maybe life is about letting God take you through situations, learning from them, surrendering them to Him, and realizing God has called YOU to what He wants YOU to do for His kingdom.





Job Title: Springboard Tutor

Now that I have had time to settle into my routine with routine throughout the school day, I have become so much more than a tutor to my students. Yes, I teach, plan lessons, write IEP's (individual education plans), and make sure all the resources are there there when it comes time to teach, but I have noticed with all of my students that they love coming to Springboard. But let's be real, what kid wouldn't love to attend a 45 minute session of playing games (games about reading, writing, and spelling, of course!) and having an adults undivided attention for the whole time!? Any child would love that, but with most of my students, they don't get that crucial undivided attention from an adult anytime throughout the day, except when they come to Springboard. Heartbreaking, yes, I know because I see it everyday, but it's an indescribable feeling when I see children's pure joy and pure comfort on their face when they are in a safe and caring environment, not only to learn but to be with a consistent and loving adult.
I really like the teaching aspect of my tutoring, but what I love about what I do is to be able to be that consistent and loving adult to all the children I teach, no matter what their abilities are or are not. I get the chance to instill each of my students with the knowledge that it's okey to try and fail because everyone does, the confidence to be able to try new things, the voice to say they don't understand a new concept, and the love, care, and concern every adult should have about any child that comes into their life.
When I decided to say “Yes,” to Springboard in June, I had no idea how involved with the children I would get even though I only see each child twice a week for 45 minutes, but it is so much more fulling and beautiful than I could have ever imagined.





Some of the Supporters I forgot to add for August and September are:
August:
Alice Erb: 31st in celebration of her son's birthday.
September:
Stacey and Kent Cunnningham: 3rd in remembrance of their first date (which led to their beautiful marriage).
Septmeber:
Alice Erb: 5th in celebration of her daughter's birthday.


Supporters for November:
Stacey and Kent Cunningham: 3rd in celebration of Stacey's birthday.
Nathan and Laura Leckband: 5th in celebration of Nate's birthday and the 26th in celebration of Thanksgiving and being thankful for missionaries around the world.


Prayer Requests:
- Praise that God provides more than enough for every need I have had since moving to London.
- For God to be with, guide, and walk with those God has called all around the world (and yes, this includes YOU!!).
- For God to provide for not only children I teach but for all the children that come to Springboard – for their health, hearts, and minds.
- For all of my supporters that pray for me, finance me, and send me encouragement and up-dates in their lives (I really am grateful).




I hope you have enjoyed my journey so far. I have enjoyed every step of the way and I pray that you are changed by the words I have written. Please feel free to pass my journey along to those around you whom you think will enjoy reading.



Don't forget that I love e-mail's and snail mail of prayers, encouragement, personal stories, and Bible verses. My information is:

E-mail: DanaEPO@gmail.com

Address: Dana Olson

7 Banfield Road
Nunhead
London, United Kingdom
SE15 3TX




Chat with all of you soon!
Love you,
Dana



“Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not rely on your own insight” - Proverbs 3:5

5 comments:

Dani said...

Thanks for the update, Dana! Also, thanks for the work of God that you do! :O) I am so happy I got to know you in Jamaica! GOD IS GOOD....ALL THE TIME! Blessings!

Jackie Sue said...

Dana,
It's refreshing to hear your words through this journey. You encourage me to dive deeper into my relationship with God. (pray for me on that! -thanks!)Teaching...oh how I could relate to your story of teaching. I look forward to reading more in the future. I miss you. God Bless, Jackie

Anonymous said...

Hi Dana! I've finally gotten around to reading your blog. Thank you so much for sharing all those feelings and thoughts. You are a very special person. I'm REALLY looking forward to seeing you in February at Ryan's wedding! Love & smooches to you, Marsha R.

Anonymous said...

Sorry, I don't know how this works so I clicked on "anonymous". Oh well, it worked!

hughes said...

Dana: we love you and are proud of you. Looking forward to seeing you in February. Keep listening to God's will for you everyday and follow. You are an amazing woman. Love and prayers. The Hughes Family