Sunday, January 03, 2010

CHRISTmas

The month of December accompanies the hustle and bustle of getting ready to celebrate Christ's birth. I enjoy the atmosphere of people shopping and trying to find the perfect gift for those they love, decorating the irreplaceable Christmas tree, and making the perfect cookies. Often the message of “Christ”mas gets lost in the gift buying, the decorating, and the making.... But when we stand back and look at the real meaning of Christmas (and forgive me because, yes, this will be cliché) it truly is CHRIST (imagine that?)! God has already provided for those He loves: the perfect Gift of Christ, the decoration of His children's lives with the joy and love of the Holy Spirit, and the making of a flawless sacrifice for all people to be brought back into relationship with Him. I have to admit that I forgot this message for a few moments this season. But even amongst the failure to remember the “reason for the season” God pulled my heart back to His many times this month. He's reminded me of the many things He's promised throughout generation after generation.



One of God's promises is that He reminded me of was that He will provide all that I need:

While reading 2 Samuel (and the story is also in 1 Chronicles), David was chosen by God and is appointed King over Israel. God speaks to David, through his servant Nathan, saying He will establish David's throne's forever. After reading the cruelty and disobedience David's heirs were to their enemies and to God, I was astounded that God still upheld His end of the “bargain”. When I went back and read in more detail this story in 2 Samuel 7, verse 14 and 15 say, “...When he commits iniquity, I will punish him... But I will not take my steadfast love from him...” (speaking about Solomon). All David had to do is to be obedient to God (yes, he was human and he did commit sins, but David did repent and still had to face the consequences of his sin) and God promised to establish his throne forever (which eventually Jesus was born through David's “throne”). And no matter what David's heirs did, God still kept his promise to David. In a way I kind of feel like David (except the whole “king, throne, and Jesus being my heir” thing). Being chosen and having God's promises of his provision. As some of you know fundraising wasn't an easy task for me coming out of a year of serving in Jamaica and not having enough funds to provide for the next year of service God called me. Before even leaving my home church, King of Kings Lutheran Church in Woodbury, MN, and many family and friends graciously sent monetary gifts to provide for the journey that lie ahead. Although I had half the amount I was supposed to have, I persevered into this year, trusting and knowing God would and will provide. While serving these past four months in London, God has provided what He has promised through unexpected avenues! First, Lutheran Church of Ascension's youth group near Chicago wanted to support a missionary in the YAGM program and I was chosen to accept their incredible gift not only financially but as a member of their close-knit community. After receiving a beautiful care package in the mail, I felt as if I was accepted into their community without ever meeting any of their members. Second, Christ Lutheran Church in Palatine, IL also wanted to support a young adult in the YAGM program and I was, again, chosen to accept their generous gift. I am still in shock of God's provisions and still trying to work out His faithfulness towards me. As in David's story, I have done nothing to receive God's favor, but am trying to live in complete obedience to His will for my life.


As I recall how God has provided for me before sending me and while living in London, I've realized the importance of Christ's birth is to everyone. Without Christ, God's promises would been broken. But with Christ, every promise God has given His children (there are many, just read the Bible) have come true!!

Remember the reason for the season: Christ!!




Supporters for January:
Chuck and Sandy Schollmeier:
10th in celebration of their wedding anniversary.
Violet Wilson: 23rd in celebration of her birthday.
Marian and Chuck Edelen: 24th in celebration of their wedding anniversary.


Prayer requests:
- Praise to a faithful God in providing all that humans cannot. Thanks that He is much bigger than any situation or worry.
- Prayers for the children we teach at Springboard. For them to be rested and ready to learn and start 2010 with the energy to soak in all that is taught to them. For God to provide each of the children with the material things they need and for the relational aspect they need and want from those around them.
- Prayers for the volunteers at Springboard, Time for God, and those serving around the world through the ELCA-YAGM program. For all the be rested and be energized to head back to their placements full of energy and zest for what God has in store for them.
- Prayers for YOU!! For those I've known since I was a baby to those I haven't met yet, but have started a relationship through Christ with. To use the knowledge of the nations with their families, friends, and co-workers to bring Heaven to Earth.





Don't forget that I love e-mail's and snail mail of prayers, encouragement, personal stories, and Bible verses. My information is:

E-mail: DanaEPO@gmail.com

Address: Dana Olson

7 Banfield Road
Nunhead
London, United Kingdom
SE15 3TX

No comments: